Seashells are free, naturally beautiful and perfect for moneymaking ventures using this craft. There are a massive range shapes, colours, patterns, and shapes. They can be used to craft some very unique home decoration and beautiful gifts you can easily sell for profit.
Seashells are environmentally safe and a nature’s natural waste product that will eventually turn into sand after many years.
The range of product you can make with seashell is enormous. From little shelf ornaments, to wall clocks; decorated mirrors to pendants and bracelets. The list is endless. To get a better idea of the range of products you can craft to sell, look at the stalls at a seaside resort. These souvenirs are crafted by people just like you and me and are making money out of it. Look at the prices they charge and how much profit they make considering the materials cost next to nothing.
The only basic tools you really need are string, glue, small drill, varnish. There are so many different things to make i.e. mugs, mirrors, jewellery box, picture frame etc. The list is endless depending on what you decide to craft. There is no reason why you can't use recycled material such as tins, jars boxes etc. this way your overheads will still be next to nothing.
For ideas of the things you can craft, good sites to check out is
There are three main ways of getting stock and seashell crafting tools.
1. Using reputable companies that specialise in seashell crafts. You can purchase a package, which consists of a complete package. This would include a step-by-step guide from start to finish. The craft can be easily learnt if you are a novice. This is a good way to start and once you have built up a bit of experience you can go onto other cheaper options.
2. There are seashell wholesalers that have a wide range of sea shell from around the world. The choice is massive. If you know how to craft your shells into sellable goods, this is economic way of getting good quality stock.
On this site you need to register for lists of wholesale suppliers, don't worry registration is free.
3. This option is the cheapest and costs nothing. Simply gather seashell when you are on holiday or vacation by the coast. This could be home or abroad. When you get home bring your stock back with you.
A very good American site that give excellent advice on how to clean your hand gathered shells can be found here. http://goflorida.about.com/od/beaches/a/shells_cleaning.htm
Just to show how easy a product can be made here is instructions on how to make a simple seashell mobile
What you'll need:
* Sea Shells or other finds
* 2 pieces of dowel rod, about 1 foot length
How to make it:
1. Use string to make dowels into an 'X' shape.
2. Glue shells onto several different lengths of string.
3. Let dry about a day.
4. Tie string with shells to dowel rods at all four corners and some between.
5. Hang it up! and your friends and neighbours can all see it and enjoy it. It will also give you a chance to tell everyone about your adventures in collecting and making seashell crafts.
(Courtesy of http://crafts.kaboose.com/seashell-mobile.html)
Finally, mentioning kids, get your children involved in seashell crafting. They will love the activity and their crafting results can be used for gifts for friends and relatives.
Selling your completed crafted product would be best suited by mail order online, or set up a website and sell them there. There's always Ebay of course. What about local shops, or even your local post office that might want to put them on display? Profits will have to be shared but stock is always on display! You may even get more business from referrals from this way. If some products don't sell, you can, just like the children, give them as gifts.