For all those weblogs or websites out there who haven’t joined Open Directory Project I suggest you do. The Open Directory Project is the biggest and most comprehensively managed human-edited directory on the Web. It was founded and is still maintained by a massive global community of volunteer editors and now stands with a PR7. You will be amongst the best sites on the Internet if accepted.
There are certain rules for application and you will need to check out whether you conform to these:
- Do not add mirror sites.
- Do not submit an URL that contains only the same or similar content as other sites you may have listed in the directory. Multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites.
- Do not disguise your submission and submit the same URL more than once. Do not submit any site with an address that redirects to another address.
- The Open Directory has a policy against the inclusion of sites with illegal content. Examples of illegal material include child pornography; libel; material that infringes any intellectual property right; and material that specifically advocates, solicits or abets illegal
- Do not submit sites still "under construction."
- Only submit pornographic sites to the appropriate category under Adult.
- Submit non-English sites to the appropriate category under World.
- Don't submit sites consisting largely of affiliate links.
Signing up your blog or website is very easy, it only took me five minutes. You simple choose the nearest category to your site and enter the standard information required on most directories. It may take up to 2 weeks or more for your site to be reviewed and they certainly don't accept all sites so getting accepted is an accolade in itself for the quality of your blog or website.
They also do not have an express service usually this is available on many directories for a fee. Again this is a feel good factor about this particular directory that money can’t buy you preferential treatment.
Also you can apply to be an editor – Again, applying is very easy although being voluntary there is no pay involved You simple choose s subject you know about and is successful you will be given a comprehensive set of tools for adding, deleting, and updating links in seconds. For just a few minutes of your time you can help make the Web a better place, and be recognized as an expert on your chosen topic.
For anyone who cares about their site making more inroads to gaining more quality backlinks, more traffic and being seen amongst the best on the Internet, The Open Directory Project is an ideal platform to submit to.